First elected in 1999, Scott Galvin is the longest-serving Councilman in North Miami's ninety year history. Professionally, he is currently the Director of Wellness and Community Prosperity for the YWCA of Miami-Dade. He also serves on the board of directors for the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, a global nonprofit organization providing cutting-edge medicine and advocacy to more than 820,000 people in 39 countries.
Mr. Galvin's first entry into politics was at North Miami High, where he served as Student Government President. He earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Education at FIU. He has since volunteered with dozens of organizations addressing needs in the community. Early in his career he taught History at the secondary level at public and private schools in the North Miami area. During the 1990s, he was chosen to work under the tutelage of U.S. Rep. Carrie P. Meek and was inspired to enter public service.
- Florida International University, Bachelor of Science in Education
- North Miami Senior High School
Associations and Memberships
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Board of Directors
- Florida Marlins Foundation, Advisory Board
- North Miami Mayor's Economic Task Force, Board of Directors
- Friends of the North Miami Public Library, Member
- Greater North Miami Chamber of Commerce, Member and Past President
- North Miami Jaycees, Senator and Past President
- Greater North Miami Historical Society, Founding Member
- Miami-Dade Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Gay and Lesbian Community Center, Member
North Miami Office of the Mayor and Council
|Telephone:||305.895.9815 or 305.895.9818|